Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Hall At Palihouse Holloway

Dining Companion: Courtney P
Date: 3-8-09

Dining Companion: Nina G. (aka the artist formerly known as Nina S.)
Date: 5-2-09


This marks the fourth or fifth time I've gone to The Hall, but the first time I went for brunch.  We both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

It was a lovely summer day and we chose to sit outside in their patio area.  For those unfamiliar with the layout of the building, it is a long term residential building with a bar/restaurant at the bottom.  There is a small room for private parties, a patio area, and a bar area.  

The restaurant started us off with two small pieces of honey cake.  The cake was delicious so we asked for me and they brought us two more slices apiece!  Yum.

Nina had eggs benedict with asparagus.  The asparagus were HUGE.  I had poached eggs with short ribs and a potato cake.  Amazing.  The portion was not huge, but it was very tasty.  There were a lot of flavors blending together nicely.

The menu changes periodically.  The first time I went there they had sweet corn tortellini that were so interesting and so tasty that I still dream of them.  This is definitely a good place to order multiple small plates if that's your fancy.

The desserts are very beautifully presented and taste good.  The best one I've had there is the chocolate muffin.  It is however, terribly named.  It's more like a flourless chocolate cake that is baked in a jar.  I don't know why it's called a muffin.  It's fabulous.  Very rich.

The drink menu is particularly good.  I've had the grilled grapefruit margarita (who knew) and  the St. Germain.  The grilled grapefruit margarita is very interesting.  It has a lot of pulp in it, but there's something so unique about the flavor of grilled grapefruit that plays nicely off the alcohol.  The St. Germain was my favorite.  I do so love my champagne cocktails.

Another bonus?  You can bring your dog to the restaurant if you sit in the patio area.

8465 Holloway Drive
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(323) 656-4020
www.thehallbrasserie.com

No comments: