Sunday, May 3, 2009

Good Earth

Dining Companions: Lauren K, Lisa M, and Raquel G
Date: 5-3-09

The post work out meal.  Ahhhh.  And boy did those girls work me out!  We all met up at my high school to do some running, lifting, and stair climbing.  Let it be known, that I do not like to work out.  It should also be disclosed that I haven't worked out in about 6 weeks when I came down with bronchitis.  Nevertheless, I chugged my way through it and got to enjoy the post work out meal.

We continued our healthy day by going to Good Earth on Ventura Boulevard.  I hadn't been there since I was a kid, which should tell you how long this place has been around.  In case you don't know how old I am (a lady never reveals her age), that's saying it's been around for a long time.

As a side complaint, when did you start having to pay for meters on a SUNDAY in the val?  Ugh....Good Earth does offer valet, but We were seated quickly and the waiter brought our waters right away after I asked.  The menu features many varieties of smoothie-type drinks but we all stuck to iced tea or water.  I had the passion fruit iced tea (very subtle passion fruit flavor, almost none) and Raquel had the cinnamon.  I had never tried cinnamon iced tea before but hers was surprisingly good- very refreshing.  Cinnamon goes well with the flavor of iced tea.

The waiter brought us out multi grain rolls with butter and some type of apple compote.  I didn't love the apple stuff but it was okay.

Lisa got the spinach salad, Raquel got an omelet (that I didn't taste but looked really good), and Lauren and I got the salad and sandwich combo.  My vegetable sandwich with sprouts, avocado, and munster cheese was okay.  It did not have a ton of flavor.  Also, I forgot to ask for the french baguette instead of the grain baguette.  But I got the spinach salad as my salad.  Wow.  That was amazing.  It was a cold spinach salad with vegetarian bacon bits (I swear, they were good, honest to god), spinach, shredded egg, mushroom, and choice of dressing.  We both got the honey ginger vinaigrette.  I was a bit concerned, because sometimes ginger can be too pungent for me, but this dressing was unreal.  It was delicious.  I could have ordered an entire second salad.  One nice thing about their sandwich and soup or salad combo, is that there are a lot of each category to choose from.  I hate when a restaurant has a long list of delicious sandwiches but only lets you choose from two or three when it comes to the combos.

Racquel also got a side order of banana pancakes.  I wasn't in the mood for sweet but it looked really good  You could see whole slices of banana, not just some banana mush added to the batter.

Also, a nice option on the menu instead of the standard side dish of grilled potatoes are Air Fries.  This trademarked and patented process yields a very tasty french fry that is much healthier than the traditional fry because of the Air Fry technology.

The menu is rather large (it's not totally vegetarian- there's turkey, fish etc.), the servers were prompt and pleasant, and the refills on the iced tea are free.  How can you go wrong?

No comments: