Saturday, April 18, 2009

Embarrassing Chef Moments- Govind Armstrong

Oh god, the horror.  It took me months to work up the nerve to even go into Table 8, let alone say hello to the chef.

It happened in 2003.  I was awaiting the results of the California Bar Exam and passing the time working at Sur La Table.  Chef Govind Armstrong came in with his business partner to return a knife set.  For some reason, I don't know why, I got nervous.  I messed up the transaction.  

First of all, it was the weirdest knife set.  The handles looked like someone ripped the antlers off a deer to make them.  Very cave man-esque.

I started the return just fine.  But then, he wanted to do an exchange or something, and then it got screwy.  You see I had no idea who he was, and so I started to process the second half of the transaction, the "buy", and then he tells me he's a chef.  Which would not have been a problem, except that he wanted his chef's discount.  And for some reason the computer wouldn't do it, I got flustered, and I looked like a dork.  He and his business partner looked at me like I was a total ditz, they said not to worry about the discount, and they took their items, and left.  

I have seen Chef Armstrong a few times since, he clearly doesn't remember me, but I get embarrassed every time.  Still.

No comments: