Wednesday, April 29, 2009

East Side Market and Deli

Dining Companions: Emily A and Chris C
Date: 4-29-09

Oh god do I love eggplant parmesan. But not every eggplant parmesan. Eggplant is one of those tricky little suckers that if prepared wrong is awful, if prepared right is amazing. Anyone who doesn't like eggplant has probably had it poorly prepared. Eggplant can be bitter, chewy, and stringy when incorrectly cooked.

But the eggplant parm (yes, I abbreviate it and try to pretend I'm Italian) at East Side Market is amazing. You can get it as a sandwich as it listed on the menu, but I always order it as a plate (no bread). The bread is very thick and filling, and I'm not wasting my stomach space with that! The eggplant slices are thin and delicated breaded and coated with egg. The tomato sauce is light (maybe needs a bit of salt) and fresh. You also get roasted green peppers with it. I like to add pepperoncinis to my bites.

East Side Market is a classic Italian deli. The sandwiches are overflowing with meat, the meatballs are generously sized, and it's a family business. And let me tell you, there are TONS of varieties of chips to accompany your meal, including one of my personal favorites- munchos. Why are those so hard to find? It seems like a trivial detail, but really, the selection is astounding. I was going to grab the chile/limon flavored chips but I had already given the guy my credit card so I passed.

Try their fabulous meaty deli sandwiches (turkey, roast beef) or classic Italian sandwiches (meatball, sausage and peppers) or even one of their plates or combos.

The space was recently redone (new tables, new paint job and decor) but it still has the same feel as it did when i first started going there in 2003. it's almost impossible to find and had my supervisor not taken me there (thank you Stacie!) I might never have started my addiction! When I asked one of the employees today when they did the rennovation, he said 4 months ago. I said, "Wow, I guess I haven't been here in 4 months!" and he replied, "That must be why you look so thin!". Hysterical. That reflects the family business spirit that permeates the deli. Some of the guys behind the counter have been working there since I started coming.

And you know a place is good when it's filled with cops and firemen. No doubt about it, cops and firemen always know the great local watering holes.

Lucky downtown denizens know where this place is, but I'll spill the beans to you "outsiders": 

1013 Alpine Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012

No comments: