Thursday, July 9, 2009

Laurel Tavern

Date: 7-8-09
Dining Companion: Dad

Yum.  Oh my god yum.  When did they start letting good food into the valley?

I've said it once and I'll say it again.  There are three things I can't pass up when I see them on a menu- burrata, pork belly, and squash blossoms.  Well, two out of three ain't bad.  Boy it ain't bad at all!

We ordered the heirloom tomato and burrata salad.  Delicious.  We ordered the grilled artichoke.  Delicious again.  We order the pork belly skewers.  Oh my.  The pork belly skewers came six to an order and were well priced at $6.  Sweet and smoky.  

We also ordered the bacon and bleu cheese burger.  It also had apple slices on the burger.  I didn't love the burger.  I thought it was a good idea, but it wasn't my favorite item.  The bun was nice and fresh, the meat was good, but something in the execution didn't work for me.  We order the fries on the side ($3) and they were just alright.

We ordered the mussels.  Delicious.  They come with grilled bread to dip in the broth and they are tasty!  We ordered the roasted marrowbones (billed only as "bones" on the receipt) also.  I finally did it.  Never had it before, always seemed a bit scary.  It was great.  This also came with grilled bread, a bit of gremolata for flavor, and a cute little knife to scoop the insides out and onto the bread.  It's a bit greasy, but in moderation it's great.  Very flavorful!

They also offer a large selection of wine and beer.  My dad ordered the apple cider thinking it was actually apple cider.  I drank it.  It was a very tasty cider.

This neighborhood vibe gastropub is a treasure.  I can't wait to go back and try everything else on the menu!

Valet is $4.  But alas, no reservations.  Sit at a table- but you order at the bar with an open tab. No waiters.  Yes, you heard me.  Cute chill decor including the bathrooms.

www.laureltavern.net
11938 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91504
(818) 506-0777

No comments: