Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Foundry

Dining Companions: My dad and my stepmom
Date: 6-20-09

Birthday dinner! We started off each ordering the beet and burrata salads with a beet puree underneath. The portion was small but the salad was delicious. We also shared a fresh corn soup with crab and morel mushrooms. Amazing. Literally lick the plate delicious.

The meal started off with tiny little bread selections, one of which they called an amuse bouche but was more of a roll. The others were baby sized biscuits with honey butter and small foccaccia slices with a balsamic sauce. Adorable and tasty.

For entrees my father and I both ordered the duck that came with artichokes, artichoke chips (small fried slivers) and sunchokes. My stepmother ordered the salmon. I very much enjoyed the duck. It was lightly dressed so it wasn't overly rich. The salmon was amazing. It came on top of some potato dish and was as soft as could be. Not dry at all and not undercooked. Very skilffully done. We ordered two sides as an accompaniment. it should be noted that the portions are not huge. The sides were the huge pan roasted gnocchi with thin slivers of parmesan and the mustard greens. The mustard greens were not overcooked. With leafy greens, overcooking is an oft practiced sin. These were whole, not overcooked at all, and well seasoned with a hint of vinegar. The gnocchi defy words. I could see my father calculating whether or not we had time for another order.

I also have to say our waiter was helpful and charming. He enhanced the experience.

The outside back area is the best for larger groups but the front has more of a bar scene where jazz acts can often be found.

All in all, a great birthday meal.

The Foundry, 7465 Melrose Avenue

No comments: